What is the heck is this?
- This is going to be a bit like role playing, you will create a character and I will act as the storyteller. each player will be alone, unless they meet another player or non-player character.
What the heck is role playing and what do you mean?
- Role playing is interactive storytelling where the players and the ST work to create a narrative. But don't worry, it's more fun then it sounds.
what's an ST?
- An ST (storyteller), Dungeon Master, etc... is the person who acts sort of like the narrator, describing the area your in, what happens when you push the red button, and acts as all non-player characters such as a villager or evil overlord your fighting. This however does not make the ST your enemy, their just setting things up for you to play with.
So how is this going to work?
- Send me a note with the subject: Serendipity. On the note, answer the questions at the end of this and then tell me what your character will do based on the situation presented below the character questions. The situation is started simple for several reasons.
- What are the character questions?
- Character questions are questions i'm asking to get a feel for who your character is and thus customize the story for your character. In other words everyone who participates will have their own story. You can play as yourself--for example, if I were a player I would be Razil but play as though I were in the situation--or you can create a character for this. As a side note for option 2, please don't make an overly powerful character where you just flick your wrist and win, that's not fun. you can create someone who's not human, or has specialty's, but they must also be weak in an area--for example Bob might be a real bookworm and have lots of knowledge in, say, history, but physically, he's weak.
- What are Situations and why are they vague?
- Situations are starting points in chapters. they start out simple so you, the player will explore. As such player's actions may differ and the situations themselves will differ as well. It's a bit like a typing adventure game. Each week we will go back and fourth on what your doing and whats happening. On every Sunday I will take the contents of the notes to create that player's chapter. Players will have plenty of chapters until they either reach an ending point or die
- So a Chapter is a week of play?
- Yes. Each person's story will be different, but from time to time several player's chapter might meet up for a period of time and then diverge again. I will do my best to get back to all your messages as fast as possible, as often as possible.
- What happens if I die or reach and end?
- If you die and want to play again, create another character and start a new story--it is possible to die!--you may not start where the last character left off nor play the same person. If you reach an end, it just means you finished the storyline you were on. Therefore you can choose to take on a new storyline with the character or you can just start a new character.
Character Creation Questions
- What is your name?
- What are you/what do you look like?
- What is your best characteristic?
- What is your worst characteristic?
- What is your favorite genre of music/movies/books/games?
- What do you value in other people?
- What do you hate in other people?
- Would you say your more analytical or emotional?
- Who and/or what do you value most?
- Who and/or what do you despise most?
- Whats your favorite color?
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- Where do you like to be/would like to be to relax?
- What kind of place stresses you out?
- What kind of stuff scares you most? Everyday stuff? Certain stuff?
- What are you best at doing?
- What are you worst at doing?
- Anything else you want to add about your character?
You find yourself in an unfamiliar room. What do you want to do?
If you have any questions, suggestions, concerns, etc... let me know. I will try to give everyone their own sub-folder in the Serendipity folder in my gallery. If you want a cover you made on your chapters, let me now and I'll put it on them. I promise to do my best to make this fun.